Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse
The Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA) has a legislated mandate to provide national leadership and evidence-informed analysis and advice to mobilize collaborative efforts to reduce alcohol- and other drug-related harms. Site offers a collection of research and statistics on general health, alcohol and drug addiction, and gambling.
Inflation Calculator: Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
The calculator uses the all-items Consumer Price Index (CPI) as a measure of inflation for different locations in Canada. It can be used to calculate the change in value of dollar figures over time.
OECD Factbook 2013 : Economic, Environmental and Social Statistics
The OECD Factbook is a free online tool which provides a global overview of today’s major economic, social and environmental indicators, in a range of user-friendly formats. The 2009 edition features many indicators on OECD member countries and Brazil, Russian Federation, India, Indonesia, China and South Africa. The 2009 Factbook also contains a special chapter with a focus on Inequality.
Social Return On Investment (SROI) Edmonton Financial Proxies Database
Financial proxies are estimates of value created through social enterprise or service delivery. Proxies help determine whether or not desired changes or outcomes have taken place. In Social Return on Investment (SROI) analysis, proxies are monetized to measure the social return that has been achieved.
Statistics Canada produces statistics that help Canadians better understand their country, its population, resources, economy, society and culture. In Canada, providing statistics is a federal responsibility. As Canada’s central statistical agency, Statistics Canada is legislated to serve this function for the whole of Canada and each of the provinces. In addition to conducting a Census every five years, there are about 350 active surveys on virtually all aspects of Canadian life. Some sub-sites of interest:
- Canadian Statistics: Provides a selection of summary statistical tables available by province/territory, subject, and metropolitan area.
- CANSIM: Resource for purchasing socio-economic statistics. Subjects include demographics, income, wealth, health, housing, ethnic diversity, immigration, social conditions, labour, government, and more.
- Census of Canada: This website contains statistics collected from the most recent census in 2011 and previous censuses. The 2011 Census includes statistics related to Canadians’ age and sex, family and household categories, marital status, and their language. It also contains statistical profiles of communities across Canada.
- Insights on Canadian Society: This publication brings together and analyzes a wide range of data sources in order to provide information on various aspects of Canadian society, including labour, income, education, social, and demographic issues, that affect the lives of Canadians.
- Survey on Labour and Income Dynamics (SLID): The SLID is an important source of income data for Canadian families, households and individuals, providing a perspective on the changes experienced by individuals and families over time. The survey’s ultimate objective is to increase understanding of the economic well-being of Canadians. Site provides links to the data products created by the SLID and other related surveys.
Stats & Facts
Published by the Canadian Council on Social Development. Stats & Facts provides accessible, accurate and regularly updated statistical information on social and economic indicators for policy analysts, community planners, activists, journalists, and students. Site contains facts sheets organized by topic area (demographics, families, health and education, labour market and economic security) and offer national, provincial and some international data.